mercy me 2


“Grace is what God gives us when we don't deserve it and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve”

John Wesley taught that people must be Christians in both word and deed, which were to express the love of God. He believed that Christians must grow in God's grace, which first prepares us for belief, then accepts us when we respond to God in faith, and sustains us as we do good works and participate in God's mission.

'And, First, with regard to works of mercy. "Take heed,"that you do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: Otherwise you have no reward of your Father which is in heaven."

-- Although this only is named, yet is every work of charity included, every thing which we give, or speak, or do, whereby our neighbour may be profited; whereby another man may receive any advantage, either in his body or soul. The feeding the hungry, the clothing the naked, the entertaining or assisting the stranger, the visiting those that are sick or in prison, the comforting the afflicted, the instructing the ignorant, the reproving the wicked, the exhorting and encouraging the well-doer; and if there be any other work of mercy, it is equally included in this direction.'

“Heaven have mercy on us all - Presbyterians and Pagans alike - for we are all somehow dreadfully cracked about the head, and sadly need mending”
Herman Melville

“Teach me to feel another's woe,To hide the fault I see,That mercy I to others show,That mercy show to me.”
Alexander Pope

“The quality of mercy is not strained; It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed- It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes.”
William Shakespeare

“I would lose my way again, be led hopelessly astray again, just so I can pray again...For the mercy in you.”
Sabian Depeche Mode

“The very contradictions in my life are in some ways signs of God's mercy to me.”
Thomas Merton

No comments: