Sticks and stones, words...


 1 Samuel 16 David was going along with his servants and with his mighty men. As they were walking a man suddenly appeared ad began to curse David to throw rocks and dirt. David's men, and his servants all saw what was happening to their king. They also were stoned and had dirt thrown upon them. One of his mighty men wanted to chop the guys head off. David replied, "Let him be, perhaps he was to sent to curse me and perhaps God will hear him and bring blessing upon me." The cursing, rock, and dirt throwing man followed them from a hillside continuing to curse and to throw stones and dirt. They arrived dirty, weary, and bruised. David then refreshed himself.

Ever had rocks, dirt and curses thrown at you?

David a man after God's own heart.

David humbled himself, did not retaliate and acknowledged God. He knew that His God was swift to bless. In the midst of cursing and being pummeled by rocks, and dirt he still believed God was good. When they arrived at their destination David cleaned himself up and refreshed himself. I personally believe he paused to worship. 

Following Jesus may sometimes mean we will have stones and dirt and cursing thrown at us. Our response is all important. 

Jesus 
"Love Your Enemies
You have heard that it was said, YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 
so that 
you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; 

for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

"But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. (Luke 6:27-28 NASB)

The word mistreat can mean: despitefuly use you, insult you, hurt you, revile you, or accuse you falsely.

Jesus our example
But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 

To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, 
that you should follow in his steps. 

He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.” 

When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” (1 Peter 2:20-24 NIV)

Jesus endured much, think about His journey toward the cross, verbal abuse and anger was hurled at him continually yet, He humbled himself and kept (this was an on going act of faith) entrusting Himself to the One who judges justly. 

You who are without sin cast the first stone.
A woman was caught in sin, accused, condemned and ready to be stoned. The men were right according to the law to stone her for her actions, however mercy prevailed from the merciful One. Jesus said to her accusers "Whoever among you is without sin cast the first stone." They all left one by one. I often wonder how long He wrote in the sand? How long did it take for the men to realize they too had sinned and were worthy of being stoned?


Go low.
A year or so ago I heard through the grapevine that someone was defaming me, speaking bad things about me; generally running me down. People would come to and would begin to tell me what was being said. I would say, "Stop. I do not want to know." 

My spirit was troubled, my emotions at times were ragged, and I was very concerned. I decided to humble my soul and to pour out my heart to Jesus. I often prayed, "You see it all. You hear it all. You know it all." I chose not to confront and to entrust my soul to Him who judges justly and to extend mercy. I also prayed for mercy and grace for the person and spoke blessing.

Often, I simply worshipped, and many times I just laid on the floor. During this time I was attending a major conference. In the sessions of worship I knew I needed to go low so I found a place and laid on the floor.

During this season I also discovered He knew everything about me. He saw it all. He heard it all. He knew it all. I was humbled, convicted, yet loved. 

During one of my times of worship I saw the humility of Jesus while singing and meditating on Phil 2. I was undone. God became flesh and humbled Himself every moment He lived on the planet, then He went to the cross... for me. He was, and is the Humble One.

Such humility I see.
Such humility amazes me.
Such humility for all to see.
Such humility amazes me.
Such humility You gave it all for me.
Such humility, amazes me.

Stones, dirt, cursing and vengeance  are common. Humility, mercy, and trust, not so much.

As hard as is might be, especially when we are on the receiving end, we are called to something higher. KYLO

No comments: